Thursday, February 21, 2013

Crafty Crap with Carter

It is still sweater season here in NC, and I noticed the other day that two of my favorite sweaters had holes that needed to be repaired. One is a black wool pullover with 5 moth holes in it. At least, I assume that's where they came from. The other is a lovely moss green cotton affair with a smallish hole in the back, that originated Lord knows how. Last night I got a bug up my rear to fix my sweaters.
I am a big fan of Pinterest, and I have something like 40 boards on my account. (You should check them out, they're actually pretty awesome.) :-D
Anyway, I knew I had pinned a link about darning knitwear, but last night I could not find it to save my life. I ended up doing a search for "mend a sweater" and mixed in with pins of Eva Mendes wearing sweaters, I found some helpful info and got to work.
The green sweater was mended with 100% cotton embroidery floss. I wouldn't say it's an invisible repair, but I don't think it looks bad for a first try.



Since the wool sweater has multiple holes, I thought I would have a bit of fun with it. Inspired by this article on Martha Stewart dot com and this amazing sweater metamorphosis at Prick Your Finger, I got to work on the black sweater. I had a skein of alpaca/silk sock yarn that, let's be honest, will never be socks, so I grabbed it and got going. So far I have only fixed one hole, and I wasn't impressed with my darning stitches, so I went a step further and did embroidered satin stitch over the repaired hole. I think after the repairs are finished I will add some random embroidery to other spots, and make wearable art out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment